Wednesday, May 28, 2014

PUYB Virtual Book Club: Q&A with Leonard H. Roller, author of 'Darklight'



 Leonard H. Roller was born in Elizabeth, New Jersey. He holds a BA degree in journalism from New York University, an MA in comparative literature from Columbia University. He has worked as an actor and public relations executive whose clients included such stars as Audrey Hepburn, Kirk Douglas, Joan Crawford, Paul Newman, and others. He’s been a communications consultant for Lockheed, Mattel, and Hilton Hotels and Resorts. He has served as a French translator for the U. S. Army in France, where he spent leave time climbing in the Alps. The author of a communications training text The Profits of Persuasion  (International Resources, 1986), his poems have been published in The Lyric, Pearl, The Storyteller, Deronda Review, Ancient Paths, Snowy Egret, Space and Time Magazine, Thema, California Quarterly, and many others.

His latest book is a book of poetry, Darklight.

Visit his website at www.leonardhroller.com. 

Welcome to the book club today, Leonard.  Your poetry is definitely fascinating.  When did you begin to write poetry?

Leonard: when I was six years old - an ode to spring. Only five lines but fairly lyrical for a
six-year-old.

Where do you get most of your inspiration from?

Leonard: From God -- and I'm not kidding. Stuff just pops into my head - usually by some strange route from my heart.

Here’s a strange analogy and you can let me know if you agree with it or not, but when I’m happy I can’t write poetry but when I’m sad, that’s the greatest piece of work I’ve ever written.  Do you write when you’re happy, sad or both?

Leonard: I'm usually numb. Only kidding. Although I've written poems when I'm happy,l it's usually when I am sad or angry. Anger is a great kindler of poetry for me.

What do you think is the best piece of poetry you have written?  Would you like to share it with us?

Leonard:The one I haven't written yet. Of those I have written so far I don't exactly play favorites. One I like, from my book "Darklight" is:
           At the heart of every sun the blackness,
           At the heart of every joy the fear,
           At the heart of each black hole imprisoned light.
           The universe obsessed by warring day and night.

That was beautiful.  Where did you get the inspiration for it?

Leonard: From the universe.

What other books of poetry have you published?

Leonard: "The Profits of Persuasion," a text on spoken and media communications for spokespersons.

What’s next for you, Leonard?

Leonard: It's in the stars. More (published!) poetry, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment