Wednesday, May 7, 2014

PUYB Virtual Book Club: Q&A with Contemporary Romance Author Christina Hoffman



Christina Hoffman was born in London, England. She moved with her family throughout Canada and the US, and has finally put down her suitcase, for now, in San Francisco.
She believes that everyone has the right to feel both smart and sexy. We don't have to be one or the other! She writes stories about characters who live in the real world and who, somehow, still believe in love.

She's starting a mini-revolution. She writes sexy stories, but hasn't lost the romance from her Romances. Enough with whips -- back to lips!

She hopes you enjoy her stories and see yourself in her characters. After all, they are based on smart and sexy people, just like you.

Christina’s latest book is the contemporary romance, Invitation.

Visit her website at www.christinahoffman.com


Welcome to the PUYB Virtual Book Club today, Christina!  I would love to start out the interview with
having you tell us how you got started writing contemporary romance?

Christina: Just a while ago, I decided I wanted to try writing a novel. I wasn't sure which direction to take, so I did a bit a research. I turns out that Romance readers are the greatest readers on the planet. They are intelligent, they read A LOT, and they're nice to authors! Of course I wanted to be a part of that -- luckily, I also like writing romance, so I hope it's going to be a really great fit.

Is it a genre you have always wanted to write?  What author or authors do you admire in the romance genre?

Christina: No, this is all quite new to me. I always wanted to write, and I'm a true romantic at heart. I've written other, more serious, things, but the world has become such a scary, dark place in a lot of ways -- so I just wanted to write something about love and kindness.

I'm afraid I'm no expert, yet, on the Romance genre. I have been meeting a lot of really wonderful writers online, in particular indie writers, and that has been fun and educational.

Your book, Invitation, is hot! Where did you get the idea for this? Movies? Other books?  Personal experiences?

Christina: Oh, I can't kiss and tell! No, I'm joking... it's pretty much my job to kiss and tell, right? This book just appeared to me one night. I wanted to show a different side of sexual intimacy. I think, with the right person it can be an extremely healing, almost spiritual experience. So, this person, Madison appeared to me. She was damaged and afraid but really, intensely lonely. She wanted to get back into life, to feel like herself  again. I had to figure out how to make that happen for her.

Can you tell us more about your main character, Madison Spencer?

Christina: Madison is a 23-year-old medical student. Two years before, she had a terrible experience with her ex-boyfriend, and since then she has kept her head down and concentrated on work.  Just as she is starting to feel a bit stronger, Liam walks into her life and offers to help her feel even better. It's an offer her sensible self wants to refuse, but her body and heart are ready to take some chances.

Can you go grab Madison for me for just a few minutes?  I’d love to ask her some questions, too.

Christina: This won't be easy! She's a bit shy, and she just finished working a 36 hour shift at the hospital. I'll have to bribe her...

Hi Madison!  Thanks for stopping by; I really appreciate it!  Is there anything you’d like to tell your readers?

Madison: I want to thank everyone who is interested in my story. I know there are no billionaires or whips, so it might not be in style so much, but I hope everyone who reads it can remember, or get to experience in their lives, the power of amazing sex with someone who really loves you.

Madison, you had something very hurtful happen to you that prevented you from opening up to men.  Is it too painful to talk about?

Madison: No, but it's a private thing. I'm not a person who goes on Facebook to tell a thousand strangers that I'm having a bad day! It's less painful now, because the things that happen in the book made me realize that it was the men who were the disgusting freaks, not me. A bad thing happened to me, but it doesn't make ME a bad person.

One more question and I’ll let you get back to enjoying your day, but are you happy with the ending without giving away anything?

Madison: I love the ending. Best day of my life.

That was fun, Christina!  Tell Madison thank you for me and now I’d like to ask you a question about your book.  In a book of fiction, there’s always a pivotal point where readers just have to keep reading.  Can you tell us what yours is?

Christina: I think that probably depends on the reader! Hopefully it happens fairly early on. I'm hoping it happens when Madison sees Liam at the party and, even though her mind and her best friend are saying "Are you insane? Get back here!", she senses she's ready for the adventure, and she leaves with Liam.

Is there anything you’d like to tell your readers and fans?

Christina: I want to thank all my Romance fans just for being who they are. You are incredibly supportive readers, and everyone has been so kind. People appear out of the blue, say they liked my book, and then the most wonderful cheerleaders. Authors don't exist without readers, and I'll never forget that.

I also want to take a minute to thank all the wonderful bloggers. You are the public relations/advertising/support network companies for indie writers, and we owe you a lot!

Thank you so much for coming to the book club and thank Madison for us too.  What’s on the horizon for you?  More books?

Christina: Well, Invitation has only been out a week, so we'll have to see. So far people have been so positive, which is an amazing feeling. I do have to pay the bills, though, so...! I have lots of books planned, and hopefully I'll get to write them. So far I'm having the time of my life!



No comments:

Post a Comment