Tuesday, September 2, 2014

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with Diana Raab, author of poetry collection 'Lust'



Diana Raab, Ph.D. is an award-winning poet, memoirist, educator, transpersonal psychologist, and author of eight books, including four poetry collections and two memoirs, Regina’s Closet and Healing With Words. Her latest poetry collection, Lust, is available in softcover wherever books are sold and on Audible.

She is also editor of two anthologies, Writers and Their Notebooks and Writers on the Edge: 22 Writes Speak About Addiction and Dependency. She is advocate of writing for healing, transformation and empowerment and teaches workshop around the country. She also teaches memoir writing. She has been writing and publishing her work for more than 45 years.

For More Information
About the Book:

A passionate journey through private emotional moments, Diana Raab's LUST voices the pain of loneliness and the heart's yearning for love while transcending
the depths of human desire. In her fourth book of poetry, Raab employs narrative verse that is alive, titillating, and seductive. LUST examines the emotional and physical complexity of love, helping readers navigate the risks of intimacy as we move toward the realization that every experience enriches our lives, whether we perceive it as joy, pain, or out of the ordinary. Yet for all their psychological richness, the poems's simplicity and accessibility will resonate with women and men across all walks of life. LUST is a book you won't put down and won't soon forget.

"Diana Raab's poetry collection, LUST, will make you fall head-over- heels in love with words. Words that are strung together, knotted like a perfect strand of opera length pearls. Some read like heartbreaking short stories. Some read like pieces of your soul. Some read like scented love-letters. Some like tearful, regretful voice messages. If you want to have a love affair with the written word, please, read this collection. It will make you a believer. Or maybe ... just maybe, it will make you a believer in the pure absolute beauty of Diana Raab."--Amy Ferris 

"In the lyric tradition of Song of Songs, Rumi, Lady Murasaki, and Anais Nin, poet Diana Raab sings of carnal desire. The themes of LUST, the transcendence of sexual ecstasy, the range of its expression, the sorrow of its temporality, they surprise of its renewal in maturity, the physicality of its intimacy, are, at once, timeless and as contemporary as Raab's short leather skirt and an espresso shared at Starbucks."--Tristine Rainer 

"Diana Raab in this daring book offers what shouldn't be so remarkable, yet is, a fearless detailing of intimacy, of blissful 'acts of kindness,' of that worshipful sexuality which forms our birth- and adult-right. LUST celebrates the sacred 'everlasting eros' that we must admit most interests us, the giving and taking, the ultimate bonding, the very enlightenment through glories of the body. She sings 'your oasis in the midst of me,' and bless her for it!"--Barry Spacks

For More Information

Thanks for joining us at the book club, Diana! When did you start writing poetry?

Diana: I must have written my first poem when I was in grade school and my mother gave me my first journal.

Your book, Lust, is a passionate journey through private emotional moments.  Where do you get inspiration for your poetry?

Diana: Much of my inspiration comes from reading the work of writer Anais Nin, especially her journals. By reading her work she has taught me how to tap into my inner voice and express profound emotions. My narrative poetry typically tells a story. I am also inspired by images and feelings from real life experiences and merging them with my imagination.

Can you give us an excerpt?

Here is one poem:
Create
Make me the person I want to become
draw from me the secrets buried under
the fa├žade of responsibilities,
allow me to be who I want
as I whisper secrets into the pockets
of your open mind and the doorways
to your heart. Make me the one
you wake to every morning,
the coffee that brews you, the ice cream
which smothers you. Steal my heart
and hold it with your sculpted muscles,
massage it as if you want to keep it forever
and most important, please don’t tell
anyone our little secret of the person
we will become together.

How long did it take you to write enough poetry to fill up your book?

I have been accumulating these poems for about ten years. Although I have written and published other poetry books since then, the poems of Lust are only included in this collection—the lust for intimacy and life

You have written other books of poetry and a couple of memoirs.  Do you feel as if both can be related to each other as far as digging inside your soul is concerned?

Yes. Writing for me, whether memoir or poetry is all about digging deep into inside to express images and feelings fo the soul.

Is there another genre you’d like to write but haven’t yet?

I began a novel about 15 years ago and once in a while I dabble in it. Sometime in the future I hope to spend more time with it, although I am unsure when that will be.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell your readers about Lust?

Lust is a book that can be enjoyed reading alone or with a partner or loved one. It is also fun to listen to the book being read by New York actress, Kate Udall. It is available on Audible. She has an extremely sexy and compelling voice.

1 comment: