Sunday, October 26, 2014

Dream in Color, Think in Black & White by Jonathan Bissell



Title: Dream in Color, Think in Black & White: How to Get Unstuck and Fulfill Your Dreams
Author: Jonathan Bissell
Publisher: High Performance Impact, LLC
Pages: 108
Genre: Self-Help/Personal Growth
Format: Paperback/Kindle

Purchase at AMAZON

Somewhere along the way, you had a dream that you let go of. But it hasn’t let go of you.  You're the reason this book was written.  Because dreams matter. Dreams are powerful. And sometimes dreams just won’t go away – no matter how impractical, ill-timed or financially risky they are.
This is a book about getting unstuck in your life or career. It’s about learning to dream in COLOR and think in BLACK & WHITE. There are three parts to this book: Dreaming in Color, Thinking in Black & White, and Fulfilling Your Dreams. Each part contains practical “how to” steps and examples explaining how to get unstuck and move toward your dream. The rest is up to you.
Book Excerpt:

Charlotte, North Carolina. The lake house was stunning. Right on the water, with clear views down the lake. A blue heron swooping in now and then for a landing and staking his claim to the yard, and a stillness we could never seem to capture in our small New York City apartment.
We had escaped from the City for the weekend, hoping to find rest and some answers to our deep discouragement and restlessness. And we did. Our hosts Mark and Pam, dear friends who are gifted coaches, gave us what we needed: time alone as a couple, one on one mentoring, two on two coaching, fun and games together, home cooked meals, and family time spent rowing on the lake.
Now it was the tail end of a beautiful family weekend getaway, and our friends were giving us a final parting gift. As we sat in comfortable chairs on a screened-in porch overlooking the lake, they asked us to share our dreams and hopes for the future.
But for different reasons, we struggled with this simple request. My wife’s dreams, once clear, were now obscured by the compelling realities of limited financial resources and a busy family life. As for me, I knew what I wanted, but I had no idea how to transition from where I was standing to where I wanted to be. We were both stuck, so Mark and Pam gave us permission to dream.
“This is the time for dreaming,” Mark told us. “Stop limiting your dreaming process with words like can’t and should. Deal with those realities later. Right now you just need to give yourselves permission to dream.”
Give yourself permission to dream. Setting aside words like ‘can’t’ and ‘should’ enables you to dream without limits.
Dreaming is a powerful tool. I wrote this book because I listened to Mark and gave myself permission to dream. Now I want to give that gift to you.
You may be asking yourself, “Why do I need to give myself permission to dream?” The simple answer is that permission to dream allows you to put the color back into your dreams, and to put the black and white back into your rational thinking.
Let me explain…
Most of your dreams from childhood never got fully unwrapped, never made their way completely out of the box. As a child, you may have been told to “stop daydreaming” and “face up to reality”. Boundaries were set for you. Rules for dreaming were established.
As you internalized these boundaries and rules, you became your own dream enforcer. Gradually your dreams became elusive, and reality, rules and boundaries began to crowd out your big ideas. And as your unique, outlandish dreams became more limited by words such as can’t and should, they slowly lost their color and you began to dream in black and white.
But this is not just a book about dreaming and thinking. It’s a book about Dreaming in Color, then Thinking in Black and White. About getting unstuck, then staying unstuck.
Dreaming in Color is dreaming without rules or boundaries. With full permission. With words and ideas from your heart! With pure imagination. Thinking in Black and White is rational, strategic thinking. With clear steps. With wise counsel. With practical, actionable solutions.
When you Dream in Color before you Think in Black and White, your capacity to unleash your imagination will increase and your ability to think rational, strategic thoughts will become stronger. You will remove your self-imposed limits on dreaming, and you will bring your dreams to fruition.
Dream first. Dreaming before planning increases
your ability to be fully imaginative and to
think rationally and strategically.
Dreaming as an adult comes with rules and boundaries, but they are rules of your own making. You are your own dream enforcer! To get off the ground – to get unstuck – you must give yourself permission to dream in color, without boundaries or rules. Without the words “can’t” or “should”.
Leverage your power as an adult. Exercising your right
to dream changes the rules and boundaries of
your dreaming process.
Are you ready to take this step? Or are you willing to stay stuck? If you’d like to come along with me on this journey, make this promise to yourself before you go any further:
“I, _________________________ (go ahead, write your name!), hereby give myself permission to dream in color.” 
Now that you’ve completed Assignment 1: Give Yourself Permission, you’re almost ready to move on to Chapter 2, called “Show Then Tell”. This next chapter will help you re-learn to dream in color, just as you did as a child, but with the power of an adult to make your dream real!
Before you move on to Chapter 2, there’s one more thing you need to do for yourself: You need to give yourself a deadline. It may sound strange to combine giving yourself permission to dream with giving yourself a deadline, but it will actually give you the freedom you need to fully dream because you know that it has a definite end.
Give yourself a deadline to complete the dreaming process. Taking a set period of time to fully dream gives you freedom to begin and end the dreaming process.
Let me give you a personal example. I used to work as a public school teacher in eastern Japan. One morning, after four years of living there, I woke up with a consuming question on my mind: How was I going to pack all my things and move? I had had no such thoughts even up to the day before, but I woke up that morning knowing with absolute certainty that it was time to leave. And the more I thought about it, I knew it was the right decision.
My life had become too comfortable. I had learned to meet the challenges of everyday life in a different language and culture, and I was simply coasting along. I intuitively knew that if I didn’t leave, I was going to get stuck in a comfortable life and miss out on an amazing life beyond the borders of my comfort zone.
Move out of your comfort zone. Getting unstuck from your comfortable life enables you to have an amazing life.
Once I was clear that it was time to leave, I felt free to begin dreaming. So I gave myself a deadline of several months to dream of the type of life I wanted to live beyond Japan. By the end of this time period I was amazed at how much clearer my dream had become, and I realized that the deadline had kept me motivated and on target. I was then able to move into the thinking and planning phase at an accelerated speed, and one year later I left Japan to start graduate school in New York City.
Now it’s your turn. But before you turn the page, do yourself a favor and complete Assignment 2: Give Yourself a Deadline. Just go ahead and enter a date on your calendar, with a note next to it that says, “Deadline 1: Finish Dreaming in Color.” Once you’ve completed this assignment, it’s time to move on to Chapter 2, Show Then Tell.
Here’s a quick recap of the assignments you’ve completed in Chapter One. Write the date completed next to each assignment to track your progress.
Assignment 1:          Give Yourself Permission     
                   Date Completed: ___/___/______.
Assignment 2:          Give Yourself a Deadline
                   Date Completed: ___/___/______.         
                   Deadline Date:
    ___/___/______.

No comments:

Post a Comment