Sunday, September 13, 2015

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with Sarah Leyton, author of 'Defending Nora'



Sarah was small town girl who got a hell of an education about life and the world when she moved to the city. She writes about strong, independent women who love giving their hearts and bodies to alpha males who are more than up for the challenge. These are the stores written to embellish the lives we lead.

She might be a grown up who writes some very spicy love stories, but that doesn’t mean she doesn’t still love hello kitty, high heels, art and travel. However, her first love will always be to that majestic, powerful force of nature called coffee.

Her latest book is the romance erotica, Defending Nora.
For More Information

About the Book:

With nothing more exciting in her life than her bangs catching on fire while trying to flambé, Nora Connolly’s life was terrifically uneventful. Well, uneventful until her house got raided and she found out her boyfriend was actually a CIA agent turned traitor. When he escapes custody and begins stalking her she is forced to turn to the only man she knows can protect her, the man she’s been swooning over since high school.

When Nora shows up on his doorstep looking for protection, Jack Coleman tries to turn her way. Staying sane with Nora’s sexy ass was already hard enough, but she needs a safe house and keeping his hands to himself while trying to keep her protected would be more than even his rock hard control could handle.

For More Information



Thanks for joining us at the book club today, Sarah!  Can we begin by having you tell us how you got started writing romance/erotica?

Sarah: I am so excited to be here! Let’s do this.  How did I get started? Well, it all comes down to the fact that I had three friends who found out about my first book that I had been hobby writing in my free time. They bet me I’d never finish. I have this little issue with turning down their bets, thus Sharing Annabelle was born. As for the genre, I’ve loved romance novels since I started reading them in college. I’ll totally admit to fangirling hard for Laurell K. Hamilton, Janet Evanovich and Maya Banks.

I’m always interested in how authors come up with ideas to write their books.  How did you come up with the idea to write Defending Nora?

Sarah: Defending Nora is the sequel to my first book, Sharing Annabelle. My hunky hero, Jack Coleman, comes riding in at the end of my first book to save the day. Afterwards I just thought he was such a great character. I mean he’s funny, sexy, brave and a little bit damaged. Some friends and readers really encouraged me to tell his story and the more I considered it the more I just loved the idea of Jack finally being able to get the girl he’s been in love with since his teenage years.

How was the process of writing Defending Nora for you?  Did you hit any bumps along the way or did it pretty well go the way you wanted?

Sarah: Bumps? More like brick walls. For some reason I had the most vicious battles with writers block while writing Defending Nora. It was such a stop and go process. Admittedly, I have never been able to write in a linear style where it goes chapter 1, 2, 3 and so on. My style is much more pick and choose. I tend to just look over my outline and think to myself, “Yes, I am in the mood to write this scene today.”
Also, come closer and I’ll tell you a secret. Shhh. I save all the writing of sex scenes until the very end. I just have big red letters in my manuscript where they go and then at the end, after all the other writing has happened, I finally create them. Why? One word: foreplay. For some reason I just feel like it takes forever to write good foreplay. I don’t want to write just some wham bam thank you ma’am boinking. I want the reader to feel like they’re in the moment with the hero and heroine, and that takes time and imagination.

I would love to know more about Nora Connolly.  What makes her tick?

Sarah: Nora is a pretty simple girl. She’s the quintessential girl next door except for she has a mouth like a sailor. She loves baking and her family. Though she’s not always had it easy after her parent’s untimely deaths, she still has this amazingly positive outlook on life. Have you ever met one of those people who is just optimistic almost to a fault? That’s Nora. That optimism is what makes you really like her and it’s also what just makes you want to shake her sometimes.

Can you tell us a little about Jack Coleman?

Sarah: Jack Coleman. If there is a bigger Boy Scout I couldn’t say, but this guy is truly a badass with a heart of gold. Jack is a former Delta Force soldier who has built a very successful private security company. He’s a hard working guy whose gruff turn of phrase sometimes gets him into trouble, but he’s got a wicked sense of humor that balances him out. The best part about Jack is that underneath that soldier boy exterior is this caring guy who’s a good son and brother who is still extremely close with his family, and he’s a defending force that comes to the rescue any time trouble threatens those he cares about.

They say all books of fiction has at least one pivotal point where the reader can’t put the book down.  What’s one of the pivotal points in Defending Nora?

Sarah: I would say that the pivotal point in Defending Nora comes when Jack inexplicably gives Nora an extremely sentimental gift. It shows you that he knows her and his love for her really is true love. It’s a moment where even though he’s fighting the relationship between the two of them you just want so much for them to find a way to be together. You have to keep reading to find out how, despite their obstacles and his fear, they could find a way to be together.

What’s next for you?

Sarah: In my imagination those little trumpets that they always have at jousts are playing to announce sometime exciting, so feel free to add some dum-da-da-da trumpet tunes here. I’m excited to say that book three in my Chicago Sin series, the sequel to Sharing Annabelle and Defending Nora, has just been completed. So, keep an eye on my Twitter, @LeytonSarah, for details!


No comments:

Post a Comment