Wednesday, November 18, 2015

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with P.I. Alltraine, author of 'Heartbound'



P.I. Alltraine is an award winning poet and author. She has won several international poetry competitions, and her poems have been published in separate anthologies.
She teaches English Language and Literature in London. She earned her degree in BA English from Queen Mary University of London, a Post Graduate Certificate in Education and Master’s in Teaching at the UCL Institute of Education, University of London.
Before moving to London, she lived in the Philippines where she was ensconced in the rich culture encrusted with dark myths and enchanted tales. She draws inspiration from these in her writing. Although she has lived indifferent places and experienced different cultures, she always enjoyed the constancy of writing in her life. Her favourite authors include John Milton, Virginia Woolf and James Joyce.
Her latest book is the YA fantasy romance, Heartbound.
For More Information
About the Book:

Title: Heartbound
Author: P.I. Alltraine
Publisher: Soul Mate Publishing
Pages: 177
Genre: YA fantasy romance

Petyr has never found it necessary to consider the humans as anything more than distant, inferior beings–until now. They are the cause of the fatal disease that has plagued his realm, taking the lives of too many of his kind. As a future leader of a realm in peril, Petyr must find a way to resist and cure the affliction. He must enter the unfamiliar realm, appear to be an ordinary eighteen-year-old human, observe, and learn.

However, things don't exactly go according to plan. Instead of embarking single-mindedly on his sober mission, Petyr meets an 18-year-old girl who does things to his emotions that he can't quite fathom or control. Petyr is falling in love, and he almost forgets the gravity his choices have on his entire world. Despite the risk it poses to his life and hers, he wants to know her, and he wants her to know him–and his world.

For More Information

  • Heartbound is available at Amazon.
  • Watch the trailer at YouTube.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

Thanks for joining us at the book club, P.I.!  Can we begin by having you tell us how you got into the YA fantasy romance genre?

P.I.: I read a lot of books from different genres, but I find that YA Fantasy with romantic elements are usually the ones that I can’t put down. 

Where is your book set and why did you choose that location?

P.I.: There are two settings in the book: the human world and Empyrian. These represent the amalgamation of the familiar and the extraordinary.

I would like to know more about Petyr.  Can you tell us a little about him?

P.I.: Petyr is pragmatic, rational and he's used to knowing everything. When he enters the human world, everything chances. Suddenly, he's not so sure of anything anymore. Through him, we can see the world around us in a completely different perspective. We take a lot of our experiences and emotions for granted, and hopefully seeing Petyr go through them for the first time will encourage the readers to realise how incredible it is to be Human.

Are there other supporting characters you’d like to tell us about?

P.I.: Evan is one of my favourite characters in the novel. He doesn’t actually appear until halfway through the book, and he’s only in a few scenes, but he has such impact, such presence. I loved writing him! I can’t wait to see how the readers react to him.

They say all books of fiction have at least one pivotal point where the reader can’t put the book down.  What’s one of the pivotal points in Heartbound?

P.I.: Chapter 3. This is when the darkness becomes apparent.

What’s next for you, P.I.?

P.I.: I’m working on three novels at the moment. One of them is the second book in the Heart Series (sequel to ‘Heartbound’). The other two came to me at the same time, and I just couldn’t choose between them. I’m also working on some poetry (spoken word). I’m building a collection that will hopefully be ready for publication by next year. There’s a video performance available for ‘Unmoving,’ and a few more from the collection should be up soon.

Is there anything you’d like to say to your readers and fans?

P.I.: Heartbound is a fantasy so it’s littered with elements that are out of this world (literally). But at its core, it’s about questioning and finding one’s own identity, trying to find a resolution between who you’re meant to be and who you want to be. It’s about finding the bravery and courage to go against the tides, refuse to conform, and fight for something that means everything to you but means nothing to everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment