Sunday, November 1, 2015

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with Sheila Roberts, author of 'Christmas on Candy Cane Lane'




Sheila Roberts lives on a lake in the Pacific Northwest. She’s happily married and has three children. She’s been writing since 1989, but she did lots of things before settling in to her writing career, including owning a singing telegram company and playing in a band. Her band days are over, but she still enjoys writing songs. Sheila's books are best sellers and often appear as Reader's Digest Condensed Books. Her novel "Angel Lane" was named one of Amazon's top ten romances in 2009. Her novel "On Strike for Christmas" was a Lifetime Network movie and her novel "The Nine Lives of Christmas" is now a Hallmark movie, scheduled to air November 8th.

When she’s not speaking to women’s groups or at conferences or hanging out with her girlfriends she can be found writing about those things near and dear to women’s hearts: family, friends, and chocolate.
Her latest book is Christmas on Candy Cane Lane.

For More Information
  • Visit Sheila Roberts’ website.
  • Connect with Sheila on Facebook and Twitter.
  • Find out more about Sheila at Goodreads.
  • Visit Sheila’s blog.
About the Book:

Title: Christmas on Candy Cane Lane
Author: Sheila Roberts
Publisher: Mira (Harlequin)
Pages: 400
Genre: Women’s Fiction / Romance

Everyone's getting ready for Christmas in Icicle Falls, especially on Candy Cane Lane, where holiday decorating is taken very seriously. Tilda Morrison, town cop, is looking forward to celebrating Christmas in her first house…until she discovers that she's expected to "keep up" with the neighbors, including Maddy Donaldson, the inspiration behind the whole extravaganza. But this year, someone's destroying Maddie's precious candy canes! Thank goodness for the cop in their neighborhood.

Tilda already has her hands full trying to sort out her love life and fix up her fixer-upper. Oh, and won't it be fun to have the family over for Christmas dinner? Not really… Then there's her neighbor, Ivy Bohn. As a newly single mom, Ivy can sum up the holiday in two words: Bah, humbug. But she's determined to give her kids a perfect Christmas.

Despite family disasters, irritating ex-husbands and kitchen catastrophes, these three women are going to find out that Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year!

For More Information

  • Christmas on Candy Cane Lane is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

Welcome to the book club, Sheila!  Can we begin by having you tell us why you love writing Christmas novels? 

Sheila: Christmas is my absolute favorite holiday. I look forward to it every year. And I also look forward to fun holiday books and movies. Often I enjoy coming up with my own holiday stories. And I certainly had fun coming up with CHRISTMAS ON CANDY CANE LANE.

What’s your favorite Christmas memory?

Sheila: There are so many it's hard to pin it down to just one. Christmas for me is a collage of happiness: coming down the stairs as a child and seeing that tree all lit up with colored lights and glittering tinsel, getting my first bicycle (learning to ride that was an adventure - my father and brother got me started but forgot to tell me where the brakes were and I cruised right into a tree), family dinners, gathering around the piano with my family to sing Christmas carols, Christmas Eve candlelight services at church, playing in the snow. This truly is a wonderful holiday!

For those who aren’t familiar, can you tell us a little about Icicle Falls?

Sheila: My fictional town of Icicle Falls is really the town of Leavenworth, WA in disguise. I love that town, love how the people saved their town from extinction back in the early sixties by reinventing it and turning it into a Bavarian village. Today it attracts visitors from all over the world with its beautiful mountain setting and old world charm.

Can you tell us a little about your main characters?

Sheila: This book follows the holiday adventures of three women all living on the over the top Christmas street of Candy Cane Lane. Tilda the cop, who has just moved into a fixer-upper at the end of the street has got her hands full keeping up with the Joneses and keeping away from the temptation of the town bad boy. Ivy Bohn is trying to adjust to her first Christmas as a single mom and devoting a lot of mental energy to rewriting the lyrics to all her once favorite Christmas songs, while Maddy Donaldson, the queen of Candy Cane Lane is trying to keep everything both on the street and at home perfect. Good luck with that.

What was most enjoyable about writing your book?

Sheila: I love writing slightly slapstick scenes where my poor characters suffer embarrassment. What can I say? I'm a sick puppy.

They say all books of fiction have at least one pivotal point where the reader can’t put the book down.  What’s one of the pivotal points in Christmas on Candy Cane Lane?

Sheila: I'm going to leave it to the readers to decide that. :)

What’s next for you, Sheila?

Sheila: Come spring there will be a treasure hunt in Icicle Falls when HOME ON APPLE BLOSSOM ROAD hits the shelves. Meanwhile, I'm going to spend the holidays drinking hot chocolate, reading, and watching IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE. I'm sure that even if my holiday doesn't exactly go according to plan it will still be perfect. And I wish the same for all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Just as my instinct had told me, but was too blinded by love…my husband is sleeping with my best friend. O God! He is even in love with her. I even was informed about this by an attendant at one of the grocery stores I patronize, but rebuked her rudely and angrily because I taught she had an eye on my husband. Times went on and days went past…I was living a life of ”blinded by love”. My husband and I have been married for 3 years now and I was surprised when I found out he has been living a ”happily married life” of pretense and deceit with me just because of my financial flamboyancy. This was how I found out about them (my husband and my best friend)…There was going to be a dinner for couples that resided in the estate, since it was the estate feast day. But I was down with an unknown illness so I told my husband that we wouldn’t be able to make it to the dinner due to my condition and he agreed (this was on a Monday morning and the dinner was dated for Friday). The next day, I called my dad and complained to him about my illness which the doctor had examined and told me there wasn’t anything wrong with me, of which i knew wasn’t true because I was going through hell inside of my body. My dad told me not to worry and asked me to contact our long time known herbal doctor (Prophet. Akim) (who has been God sent to my family in terms of spiritual help; he helped cure my dad off cancer, my mom off fibroid, my brother was awarded a contract with the world bank, just by his spells) on his email (prayerstosaverelationship”AT”yahoo”DOT”com) which I did. I didn’t get a reply from him till Thursday morning which he explained and blamed on his busy schedules with other of his customers that sought spiritual help. We swung into actions with the procedures of getting me cured of this unknown killer disease that was bent on getting rid of my life. I did all I was instructed by the doctor (herbal). On Friday morning, my husband woke up and told me he was going to be away for about 3 days on a business conference. When he left, I contacted the doctor for the final rites. When everything was done, by 1:45pm just as the doctor had promised, I was well again. I called my dad and informed him about this miracle. I went to my parent’s house which I haven’t been able to do in a long while because of the illness…everyone was happy. I was with my parents till evening, and after having dinner with them, I went to bed. Just as I was going to sleep, I got a call from a neighbor in my estate telling me that she could just see my husband with another lady at the estate’s dinner for couples. I couldn’t believe what she was telling me. Immediately, I Love to the venue and my eyes saw my ears… my husband just leaving in his car with my best friend. I couldn’t believe my eyes, so I tailed them for about 15mins and they drove into a hotel…hmmm. I went back to my apartment and without hesitation I called Prophet. Akim and told him of what I just found out. I told him I needed an urgent spell to make my husband develop sudden hatred for my best friend and immediately come back to me as soon as then. The doctor told me what to do, late that night, I got everything done. At about 3:18am on Saturday morning, my door opened. Who is this in my house this early? …My husband? In tears, he is confessing all he had been doing with my best friend and asking me to forgive him and accept him as the husband he used to be … I wept my eyes out. I immediately forgave him for I love him with all my heart. Now, my husband and I are living faithfully to each other and my illness, gone forever. Are you in need of any kind of spiritual, medical, financial help? Please contact Prophet. Akim on the above email address for your rapid solutions. (Re-write the email in its right form)

    ReplyDelete