Monday, June 6, 2016

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with Linda J. White, author of 'The Tiger's Cage'



Linda J. White is the author of multiple FBI thrillers including the HOLT Medallion-winning “Seeds of Evidence.” She lives in Fauquier County, Virginia with her husband Larry, who worked at the FBI Academy for over 27 years. When she’s not writing she likes playing with dogs and her grandchildren and going to the beach.

Her latest book is the suspense novel, The Tiger’s Cage.

For More Information
About the Book:

FBI Special Agent Tom Donovan is about to nail the drug lord he’s been investigating when Angel Ramos does the unthinkable: He kidnaps Tom’s eighteen-year-old son, Kenny. The FBI responds with a powerful show of force but Ramos manages to elude them. Tom is furious, his wife is terrified, and their son is forced to confront evil face-to-face.

Tom devises a brilliant plan to rescue his son, but on a windy, rainy night in Washington, his past collides with his present in a dramatic turn of events, and Tom discovers his greatest strength isn’t his at all. 

The Tiger’s Cage is a story of courage, faith, and endurance in a violent world.

For More Information

  • The Tiger’s Cage is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.
Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

I have been researching FBI procedures for almost three decades! My husband was a video producer-director at the FBI Academy for 27 years. I worked one-on-one with an agent on The Tiger’s Cage, after first spending months learning the basics.

Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

I do have three traditionally published books, but I opted to self-publish this one. It’s a little edgy for the Christian market.

If self-published, did you hire someone to format the ebook version for you or did you do it yourself?  Can you tell us what that was like?

My husband, Larry, did the formatting. He’s better with technical details than I am. Along the way, he “invented” a cool feature: There’s a link embedded in each scene break that will take the reader back to a character list. Readers love it!

If self-published, how did you determine the price?

I’ve just had a book club chide me for pricing it too low! But I looked at other self-published books and went from there.

Did you purposefully choose a distinct month to release your book?  Why?

All of my books, whether traditionally published or self-published, have come out in either April or May. It seems to be a pattern! In the case of “The Tiger’s Cage,” I began polishing the manuscript last summer, and then gave it to my Beta readers. I made changes, had it copyedited, and then that gave us the winter months to focus on coding the manuscript and proofing it.

How did you choose your cover?

I worked with a graphic artist, June Padgett, of Bright Eye Designs. She’s not only a creative, competent designer, she’s a great friend. She worked and worked with me, sending me multiple ideas, until we had a design we both liked. Then she perfected it. There’s quite a lot to a good cover!

Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

Both. Honestly, I consider myself more of a re-writer than a writer! My husband swears I re-wrote Chapter One a hundred times. (I actually think it’s more!) I’m not a perfectionist by nature, but my writing is something I want to be just right. And that takes work.

Did you come up with special swag for your book and how are you using it to help get the word out about your book? 

I have a great company, Vision Marketing in Lynchburg, Va., which designs and prints my bookmarks, business cards, postcards, etc. They did a super job on swag for “The Tiger’s Cage.”

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I consider giveaway copies to be “seeds” that I’m sowing. I hope they produce a harvest of satisfied readers!

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

1.      Develop a marketing plan (and schedule time for marketing).
2.      Be present online, through blog tours and other social media.
3.      Have a vibrant, interesting email newsletter and develop a strong list.


What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

1.      Have a glass of wine. (Okay, I’m kidding.)
Ahem,
1.Trumpet the “birth” of the book via all forms of social media.
2.      Set up blog tours.
3.      Start writing the next book.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out? 

I have a website (lindajwhite.net) and a Facebook page (@LindaJWhiteBooks) and a Twitter account (@rytn4hm)  as well as my email newsletter. I let everyone know the progress as I was working on “The Tiger’s Cage,” and announced it as soon as it was up on Amazon.

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

“The Tiger’s Cage” is an intense story that gripped me from the moment I conceived it. I loved working on it, and believe it will have a strong impact on anyone who picks it up. It’s “can’t-put-down reading” for sure! I hope readers will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment