Tuesday, June 7, 2016

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with Alexander King, author of 'Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier'



In 1995 Alexander King encountered ‘spiritual healing’ whilst studying medicine and now resides in London, England working as a healer and masseur helping people to better health, healing and ‘enlightenment’ in a realistic manner. To date (2015) Alexander has treated well over 1500 clients, and his work has featured in several publications including the Sunday Telegraph. In this book he aims to make his discoveries about Energies and complementary healing tools as transparent and transformative as possible in order to support others who are seriously considering their wellbeing and/or are negating the growing minefield of ‘alternative’ remedies. Alexander enjoys good health and an active social life despite the many challenges he has faced and surmounted.

His latest book is the self-help/self-discovery/spirituality book, Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier: Surviving the Path to Enlightenment.

For More Information
About the Book:

Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier is a revolution in the Self-help book world. It shakes up the status-quo, by questioning and uncovering the illogical, cold-hearted or incomplete in spiritual teachings. But Alexander King then attempts to find understandings which allow for the Divine and the basis of Life to be truly loving and intelligent again. Perhaps to keep ascending on the spiritual
path one has to keep evolving ones self-help literature as well? Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier does not just stand still, and repackages existing esoteric teachings – it is moves forward with brutal honesty, but thorough positivity!
Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier tells the true story of one person’s incredible quest for self-discovery, and the answers to why we are here and what exactly we should be doing with our lives. From an inquisitive childhood, full of promise and expectation, we follow Alexander down a much murkier path to the all consuming world of a modern day cult. And then a battle for identity ensues…
Initially Alexander King, studying for a medical degree at the time, did just want to learn about Spiritual Healing, but the Teacher/Guru he found turned out to be the manipulative and sociopathic kind. A great battle for survival, to de-mask the Guru, and ultimately to de-program himself again ensued.
From this baptism with fire a stronger, more grounded Alexander emerged. All was not all well yet though, as after the cult, a few years of Chronic Fatigue followed. They gave Alexander the chance though to really test all sorts of spiritual tools and teachings on himself, to see which could actually stand up to the often so high flying promises they come with. In recent years Alexander King has worked as a full time masseur and healer and, through his dealings with many different clients, has learned even more about energies, and how they appear to work on this planet. In his practice Alexander King endeavours to help his clients to better health, healing and ‘enlightenment’ in a realistic manner.
Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier starts as a personals story but finishes as a most unique and encompassing encyclopedia of esoteric practices and teachings.

Book Praise:

This is a fascinating book because we get inside the thoughts of the author, who is himself a healer. It is a kind of journey we travel with him, as we learn how he arrived at where he is now, all the pitfalls and all the logical thinking processes ( yes, this author reasons with logic - his early training was in medicine). We are taken thorough all the weighing up of facts and possibilities, and the battles. It is a very frank, honest, and for a book of this kind of topic - strangely realistic. The author avoids merely restating in repackaged form material which is covered in other books. What we get instead is his own unique insights and perspective, and his own application of methods. Reading this book has led me to modify my own practices, and to substantially reconsider some of my own views.

There is much to be applauded in this book, from the courage it takes to follow your dream, to the bravery of standing up to those who seek to destroy it and to then speak up about the great untruths that still exist in this world, masquerading as fact. Take encouragement and guidance from this book and live your truth today!
Barbara Meklejohn-Free, author of the bestseller The Shaman Within  (Moon Books)

For More Information

  • Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier is available at Amazon.
  • Pick up your copy at Barnes & Noble.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier; Surviving the Path to Enlightenment consists of two parts. The first is autobiographical, not because I think I am so important that I need my biography out there, but rather to show what happened in my life to come to certain understandings and conclusions in spiritual matters. It does talk about me getting stuck in an religious cult initially too, overcoming Chronic Fatigue of thereafter, and has some interesting healing client case studies. The second part is a bit of an esoteric almanac. I talk about e.g. spiritual philosophy, how energies seem to operate on this planet, the ethics of healing, but also about self-help tools like protection, grounding, meditation etc. It is all based on the experiences I have gathered during my spiritual journey over 15+years – a lot of work on myself, reading, seminars, and last but not least what I feel and observe when doing client work.

Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

I worked with an editor, Kate, who helped with the editing, and getting in some references. She is very well connected in esoteric publishing too, so with her support we found a publisher – O Books.

If published by a publisher, what was your deciding factor in going with them?

I had had one publisher decline my book, as they thought that I did not have enough of a social media presence yet (basically I had none, besides a personal Facebook profile). O Books was willing to look past that, and were quite quick to reply with an acceptance. Their commission structure sounded quite fair as well, so I saw no reason not to accept their proposal.

If published by a publisher, are you happy with the price they chose?

Not 100% sure on that one, I am no expert on book pricing. It is perhaps a little high. That does not really affect the readers too much though. With the way that e.g. Amazon works, most book sellers on there are actually charging less than the cover price, and books.google.com e.g. has a great deal on the e-book.

How did you choose your cover?

Tours and Cures of a Lightsoldier; Surviving the Path to Enlightenment goes somewhat against the esoteric mainstream. I am kindly daring to apply constructive criticism to some common esoteric teachings. As such I am stepping on a few toes. As enlightened as we should really be in the spiritual community, questioning believes can get some people quite upset, even angry, and even if you do not tell them that they have to now change their believes. I therefore (and a few other reasons, which will become apparent when you read the book) decided that a protection symbol on the cover might be of use. When researching spiritual protection talismans and symbols, I found the Aegishjalmur, which is a Norse symbol for protection and invincibility. Brent Berry Arts had a beautiful version Aegishjalmur Gold on Green Stone online, which I fell in love with. Brent kindly gave me permission to use it as the centre piece of my cover.


Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I am a bit dyslexic. It seems my brain is often faster than I can type, and my fingers sometimes type stuff I did not tell them too, so I generally re-read everything I have written, and correct accordingly. Once I had a working first draft of the whole book, I started working with my editor. She would read a few chapters, correct, or amend as she thought wise and then send them back to me. I then went over her corrections and send them back to her. I think we had about three runs like that, before we submitted the book to potential publishers.

Did you come up with special swag for your book and how are you using it to help get the word out about your book?
Not yet, not a bad idea though, I might look into it.

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I guess it depends. In general I believe things work best if there is a fair exchange of energies. So either people respect my writing, time and expertise by paying for the book, or e.g by writing a review. I also heard about book give-aways, but heard from some fellow authors that such books often just end up on eBay, without having generated any reviews, so I have not gone down that path yet. I did give one book to my local library, and actually recently had a client book a massage & healing session, after he had read it there.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

I know it can be dreary, but rather proof read it ones too often, then not often enough. That said, I could probably have proof read forever, always still finding something that might be said slightly better in another way, so after three proof reads, I called it!

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

Believe in what you have created, especially if your heart and soul went into the creational process. The book world is vast. In the spiritual sector alone, there is hundreds of books published every months. So getting recognition and start selling decent numbers can be a slow process initially. But if you keep up your PR efforts, I am sure something will come of it. PR takes tenacity, patience, and perhaps a bit of luck?

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?
I was a bit shy about pre-promotion, being a first time author and all. I set up a Facebook (lightsoldier1) and  Twitter (@Lightsoldier71) author accounts, and created a website (www.alexander-king.com), but I did not do much promotion before the actual book was out. I figure most people get inundated with so much info every day, it would have been asking a bit too much to already e.g. book mark my site for when the book actually does come out. I am sure such efforts are worth their while if you are J.K. Rowling, but I am not there yet. In retrospect I could perhaps have worked on a few more blog posts already, to get people to ‘like’ my Facebook page, or started on a YouTube channel with guided meditations, but then we are usually wiser looking back.

Do you have a long term plan with your book?  

I am trying to remain as Zen as possible about my expectations. I cannot force anyone to read my book, nor would I want to. I do believe there is much in useful information and tools in it, but then I found most of them myself, so others can too. 

I do believe in my book though, and I do believe that it enriches the spiritual market. It is different, helpful, interesting and in some ways unique. So I will keep on with my PR efforts for a good while yet, trying to make people aware at least that my book is out there!

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

Thank you so much for reading my book! I hope reading it was at least as much fun for you as writing it was for myself, and that your life journey will be even happier and more effortless for it!





No comments:

Post a Comment