Monday, September 5, 2016

PUYB Chats with Miriam Greystone, author of 'Truthsight'





Debut author Miriam Greystone writes urban fantasy stories filled with magic, romance and the occasional centaur. She fuels her creativity with an insatiable appetite for reading and frequent episodes of Doctor Who. She lives just outside of Washington DC with her husband and children, and when she isn’t hunched over her laptop, she can often be found baking or going on long hikes with her family.

Her latest book is the urban fantasy, Truthsight.

For More Information
About the Book:

Title: Truthsight
Author: Miriam Greystone
Publisher: City Owl Press
Pages: 286
Genre: Urban Fantasy

Doctor Amy spends her nights running a secret clinic for supernatural creatures. When she is forced to use her magic to save the lives of a centaur infant and its mother, she vows never to regret her decision, no matter the consequences. Not even when the Mages capture her, beat her, and condemn her to die.

Before the sentence can be carried out, Amy is abducted by a mysterious being named Rowan, who demands she use her healing abilities to save his father. But when Amy fails to save the ailing man, her actions unintentionally force Rowan into an exile that will soon turn into a death sentence.

Now Rowan and Amy must join forces with the creatures who were once her patients and fight to uncover the one secret that may be powerful enough to save them all.

For More Information




Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

As a fantasy writer, I love mythological creatures and I am always fascinated by stories and descriptions about them. I am especially excited about lesser known mythological creatures, or ones that generally appear only in epic fantasies, by not are not generally seen in urban fantasy stories. In Truthsight, one of the main characters is a Leshy, which is a less commonly known creature which I had a lot of fun learning about, and then re-imagining in a way that really fit into the story that I wanted to tell.

Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

Truthsight is being published by City Owl Press, a wonderful small press that provides cutting edge genre fiction.

If published by a publisher, what was your deciding factor in going with them?

I really loved City Owl Press because they really focus on developing an author’s career long term. They focus on genre fiction and they really know those markets well. There is a real team spirit among the authors and editors at City Owl, and we all support each other and cheer each other on. It is a great group to be a part of.

If published by a publisher, are you happy with the price they chose?

I think City Owl is very savvy about every part of the marketing process, and they do a good job of setting the price.

How did you choose your cover?

I worked long and hard with both the illustrator and with one of my editors to get the cover just right. I wanted something that captured the intense mood of the book. I also wanted something that showed both the female main character and the main male interest in a way that showed they were both equals, and that they were both special. I wanted it to be clear to everyone that the main female character had special powers, too. I couldn’t have been happier with the final product, and I think Truthsight’s cover is just beautiful.


Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I revised as I went, then took the draft I had, tore it to pieces, and put everything back together again. It wasn’t pretty, but the final product is one I am very proud of!

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I think the most important part of success is getting your book in front of readers so that they can discover how much they love the world you have created. Sometimes giving a book away for free is the perfect way to do that. At the same time, authors are professionals who deserve to be fairly compensated for their work, and as readers we have to be willing to support authors so that they can keep writing the books we want to read.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

The first thing is to write a great book that you love and can’t wait to share with others. The second is to network with other authors who can give you guidance and help you to figure out the best ways to get your book out and into the world. And the third thing is to not be shy! I think that for some of us this is the hardest part – many authors are somewhat introverted and putting yourself out into the world can be a real challenge. But you have to believe that there are readers out there who are just waiting for exactly the book that you have written, and work hard to get your work out so that readers can find it.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

I think the most important thing a writer can do is keep writing! There is so much now that can distract an author from the actual art of writing – but at the end of the day we are writers before all else and that work is the most important thing that we can do.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?

I set up a facebook author page, a newsletter, and a book blog tour. I have also spent a lot of time setting up my website, www.miriamgreystone.com

Do you have a long term plan with your book?

I am currently working on the sequel to Truthsight which, if all goes according to plan, should be coming out from City Owl Press in 2017!

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read Truthsight! I hope you fall in love with the characters as much as I have!





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for having me on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this interview, Miriam, and I've read TRUTHSIGHT and loved it. I especially love the way you make supernatural characters seem so real without simply making them like the human characters. And I thought the descriptions in the book were just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete