Monday, September 5, 2016

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with Becky Johnson, author of 'Touching Death'



Books are Becky Johnson's passion and always have been. She used to get in trouble in school for reading during class!

Becky has Master's degrees in social work and history, and for her day job she is a social worker. In her writing she tries to answer a question that is important to both social work and history: Why? She always wants to know why people do the things they do or feel the way they feel.

When not reading or writing she enjoys yoga, photography, cooking, and makes a pretty mean chili!

Her latest book is the mystery/suspense, Touching Death.

For More Information
About the Book:

Rachel Angeletti knows things. She always has. With one touch she sees secrets, emotions, lies. Her gift helps her to be the best museum curator in Chicago. It also makes her personal relationships
difficult.

Her life is complicated enough when a run in with her ex and an unanticipated vision sends her reeling. One touch and she sees death. One touch and she is thrown into the midst of killer’s dark fantasy. Now Rachel is in a fight for her life against a killer she knows too little about.

With danger stalking her around every turn Rachel is in a thrilling race against the clock. Can she catch a killer before he catches her?

Touching Death will take you on a riveting, page-turning, journey into the mind of a killer and the heart of a survivor.

For More Information

  • Touching Death is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.
Can you tell us why you wrote your book? 

Several years ago I was in the Museum walking through one of the ancient studies rooms. There were carved columns flanking the room. I touched one of the columns and I thought, ‘what if?’. It’s how most of my books start, a random thought that balloons into a story. I loved the idea of being able to see the past through something as innocent as touch.

Does your book have an underlying message that readers should know about?

I always feel like books have messages. The author puts themselves into the book. That is absolutely true of Touching Death. Rachel has to learn how to love herself and forgive herself even when her life isn’t the way she thinks it should be. I think for women especially that’s one of the hardest lessons to learn – to love and accept yourself no matter what.

Do you remember when the writing bug hit? 

I don’t! I feel like I have been writing stories forever. My mom tells a story of me in first grade. I wrote a long story backwards, I’m dyslectic. My mom said the story was really hard to read because it was backwards, but when she figured out how to read the story she was impressed with the story itself. So I guess I’ve always had stories to tell.

Besides books, what else do you write?  Do you write for publications?

Do you have a writing tip you’d like to share? Write. That’s the only thing I can say. No matter what just keep writing. The story will come out, but it can only come out if you write.

Where’s your favorite place to write at home?  

It varies, but usually on the sofa with something on in the background. Sometimes music. Sometimes mindless television. The one factor that never changes is my cat trying to sleep on the keyboard while I’m typing!

What do you do to get away from it all? 

Read! I love books. I love writing and I love reading. A book can take you to so many amazing places.

What was the first thing you did as far as promoting your book? 

I joined Goodreads. I have been blessed to meet so many amazing authors and readers that have helped me on my journey. I wish I had joined Goodreads earlier as there are so many lessons I learned after my first book was published.

Are you familiar with the social networks and do you actively participate? 

I’m not on twitter. I probably should be, but I have enough trouble keeping up with Facebook I think if I was on twitter I would never post anything!

What is the most frustrating part of being an author? 

When characters don’t do what you want them to! Sometimes I think my characters are writing the story not me.

What is the most rewarding? 

When someone reads something I wrote and they get it. It is the best feeling in the world to have someone say that they enjoyed what I wrote. Especially when the book elicits an emotional response. I had one reader tell me my book made them feel good about themselves. I didn’t stop smiling for a week.





No comments:

Post a Comment