Tuesday, September 27, 2016

PUYB Virtual Book Club Chats with S.P. Aruna, author of 'Girl Within Girl'



Half French, half Khmer (Cambodian), I'm a woman whose head is filled with fantasies and intriguing stories, and who wants to share them with others.

S.P. Aruna’s latest book is the erotic thriller, Girl Within Girl: An Erotic Thriller: Book 1: Unraveling.

Visit the author on Facebook.
About the Book:

Katrina is never alone. She is bound to others inside her, tighter than
any Siamese twins could ever be: Cherry, the freewheeling photojournalist, Anisa, the covert spy-assassin, and others as yet unknown, all sharing her body and mind as she goes about her work in a psychiatric hospital. But she is starting to unravel, and her sole hope is the handsome Dr. Sean Paisley, the only one who can make her whole again.

Girl Within Girl is a dark erotic thriller that wanders through a sensual maze of mind control and torture.

For More Information

  • Girl Within Girl is available at Amazon.
  • Discuss this book at PUYB Virtual Book Club at Goodreads.

Before you started writing your book, what kind of research did you do to prepare yourself?

Since my book centers on a woman with multiple personalities, I was compelled to read books on this subject. Not only did I find out that this condition can be induced through trauma, but I also discovered that many psychiatrists and doctors associated with hospitals and universities were conducting cruel experiments on people using funds from the CIA. This program was called MKULTRA, so I had to read up on that as well, including books written by survivors of such experiments. The key book which prompted me to write Girl Within Girl was The Control of Candy Jones, a story of a famous model and pin-up girl who was hypno-programmed to be a spy under a different personality.

Did you pursue publishers or did you opt to self-pub?

Because my book is dark erotica, I felt the best route to go was to self-publish.

If self-published, did you hire someone to format the ebook version for you or did you do it yourself?  Can you tell us what that was like?

I used the BookBaby publishing platform and they do everything from formatting the book to distributing to all the major eBook vendors.

If self-published, how did you determine the price?

The book is just under 200 pages, and I wanted to make it affordable since it is part of a series. I also did some research on other eBooks on Amazon and came up with the price of $2.99.

Did you purposefully choose a distinct month to release your book?  Why?

I originally wanted the publication date to be mid-September, when the kids go back to school since I anticipate that my audience would be stay-at-home moms, but I fell behind schedule. It will be published in mid-October instead, not really good timing since it is too close to the holidays, but I'm anxious to get it out and since it is the first book in the series I can always publish the second one at a more favorable date, perhaps during the dead of winter to warm up those cold nights.

How did you choose your cover? 

I worked with a guy called Cal Sharp of Caligraphics, and we came up with a design that visually evokes the concept of ghost-like alter egos emanating from a central character.

Did you write your book, then revise or revise as you went?

I usually write a chapter or two then revise, revise, revise. At some point I had to stop editing what I had written or the book would never have been published. Despite that revising, I'm sure I'll read the published version and say to myself, gee, I wish I could change that.

What’s your opinion on giving your book away to sell other copies of your book?

I feel this is a must because I believe word of mouth is the ultimate selling device.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do before their book is released?

Publicize, expose, promote, market.

What are three of the most important things you believe an author should do after their book is released?

Publicize, expose, promote, market again. At the same time, start writing the next one.

What kind of pre-promotion did you do before the book came out?  

I setup an FB page and a Goodreads page. I plan to be quite active on Goodreads. Now, I'm getting involved in blog tours, which will last for two months.

Do you have a long term plan with your book?

This book, Girl Within Girl Book One: Unraveling, is the first of the series, so I plan to write at least two more novels in the series before it ends.

What would you like to say to your readers and fans about your book?

The book is dark erotica, yet a thriller at the same time, and the story weaves in and out of three lives of the same woman, each one full of unknown consequences, keeping the reader on edge as to what is going to happen next. In short, there is an entertainment element above and beyond the sex scenes in glamorous situations - there is a strong plot, something not easy to find in erotica novels.

Another aspect of the story which would appeal to many readers is the ability to escape out of the ordinary humdrum of our lives.
Each of us has multiple sides to our personality. On top of that, many people have fantasies of being someone else and of doing things that go outside the boundaries of our day-to-day existence. For Katrina Novak, she can accomplish these things through her alter-egos of Cherry Cummins, the freelance photojournalist who travels to exotic places and meets many famous people, and Anisa Grant, a kick-ass spy assassin who succeeds in her missions through cold calculation and ruthless execution.

I hope everyone enjoys reading it as much as I did writing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment