Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Interview with Bobbe Palmer, author of Can this Be Home?

715108_blogtour_L1

 

Inside the Book:

Can This Be Home
Title: Can This Be Home? And Four Other Stories 
Author: Bobbe Palmer 
Publisher: iUniverse 
Genre: Fiction 
Format: Ebook

Annie has just suffered an unimaginable loss. While she spirals into the darkness of grief, her rancher husband, Ray, appears to lack emotion. But as a storm approaches their Wyoming ranch, Annie finally sees something in Ray's blue eyes that transforms everything.

In a compelling collection of stories, Bobbe Palmer shines a light on five women of different ages and circumstances as each faces unique challenges. After little Ally witnesses a fight between her father and another farmer over water, she soon discovers what happens when a man thinks he can do everything for himself. Janie was once happy with Brad. But that was before he let the drink overtake his life. Now all she worries about is which one of them it will kill first. Odd Ida does not like boys. But when one appears at her door, she invites him into her home-and unwittingly, into her life, where she learns loneliness can be cured. Sandy knows something is visiting her farmhouse at night. Now all she has to do is determine its identity and what it wants.

Can This Be Home? is a compilation of tales that offer powerful descriptions, tormented characters, and heartbreak as five women bravely confront their trials.

The Interview

1.How did you come up with the title of your book?
The first story in the book is titled “Can This Be Home?”.  It tells the story of woman who has had a tragedy in her life and is uncertain that she can continue in her marriage and live where she does.  The story resolves that question.  The other stories also present situations for the women as they work out problems in their particular “home” situations.

2. What is your writing environment?

I write in a small office in my home, with a window on the mountains where I live in a retirement facility.  I live alone so that I have  as much quiet time to write as I choose. 

3.What are some of the best tools available today for writers?

I don’t know about those.  I didn’t use anything except my own ideas for the writing,  Then iUniverse help me to polish the stories, and their help was invaluable.

4.  What inspires you to write?

I love words and the pleasure of the sounds of them together expressing ideas that come to me.  It is very fulfilling to be able to create people and situations by writing about them using the rhythm of phrases and sentences to make my characters come alive in their own circumstances.

5. Did you learn anything while writing this book?

I learned about what it takes to make a story real and how to choose words sparingly and to move things along quickly in following the plot I have in mind, to keep writers’ attention better by being selective in telling of people and events. 

6. What is your favorite quality about yourself?

I am quiet and introspective and I pay close attention to situations and people and what they say and do.  I am sensitive to subtle things happening in the interaction between people and with circumstances and the qualities of things around me so that I can describe them as I write.


Meet the Author:
Bobbe Palmer attended Grinnell College in Iowa and the University of Denver. After teaching school one year in Kansas, she married a Presbyterian minister. She assisted him as he served churches in Wyoming, and then in mission work in Alaska. Now a widow, Bobbe lives in Estes Park, Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment